Pages

Friday, August 26, 2011

Book review: Beastly by Alex Flinn

Everyone has watched the Disney movie "Beauty and The Beast", at least once in their life. So we all know the story. I never realized how many versions there are of the story! So far I've read two. One was the book I did a review on a while ago, "Beauty: A retelling of Beauty and The Beast" by Robin McKinley. (You can read it here.) It was a really good book. Now, I just finished "Beastly" by Alex Flinn.
Here's what it says on the back of the book:

"I am a beast. A beast. Not quite wolf or bear, gorilla or dog, but a horrible new creature who walks upright – a creature with fangs and claws and hair springing from every pore. I am a monster.

You think I’m talking fairy tales? No way. The place is New York City. The time is now. It’s no deformity, no disease. And I’ll stay this way forever – ruined – unless I can break the spell.

Yes, the spell, the one the witch in my English class cast on me. Why did she turn me into a beast who hides by day and prowls by night? I’ll tell you. I’ll tell you how I used to be Kyle Kingsbury, the guy you wished you were, with money, perfect looks, and a perfect life. And then, I’ll tell you how I became perfectly beastly."


 Recently they did a movie for this book and I watched it first before I read this book.  It was a good movie, I thought. Then I checked out "Beastly" at my library and read it. Usually, I hate watching the movie before the book, but it wasn't bad this time. I still had the movie in my head but I could picture what he looked like without what he looked like in the movie in my head. In the movie, he wasn't a "beast". He just had scar like stuff on his face. In the book, he actually has fur, and looks like a "beast". Kinda like the Disney movie. Fangs and claws. Here, lets do a comparison:


The Beast from "Beauty and The Beast".
Kyle in the movie "Beastly".



























See? I kinda imagine him looking like The Beast more, but not quite like him. If that makes any sense...?

ANYways back to what I thought about the book. I liked the book a lot. I wouldn't give it five star's cause I didn't love it.  But it was a good book nonetheless. I give it four stars! 
  In Robin McKinley's version, it wasn't in present day. In this book, it's in modern times. Kyle (or Adrian) goes to school and a Witch turns him into a beast because he's an inconsiderate jerk, who's rich and has everything. She gives him two years to find someone to love him, and him to love her back. His personality changes as he's this "beast", and he becomes a kind guy, who's not so much a jerk anymore. It's a cool plot line, and it gets more interesting as it goes along. I liked it. I thought it was enjoyable to read. I think my favorite character is Will, the blind guy who lives with Adrian and tutor's him.  It's a good book. I recommend it to anyone who likes retelling's of fairy tales, romance, and finding out that looks aren't always important. Overall, a great book.

0 comments:

Post a Comment